Type 2 diabetes is largely preventable, but can lead to serious health complications if left untreated.
If you are at high risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, your free local Healthier You service can help you put your health back in your hands and reduce your risk.
The first thing you need to do is to find out if you are at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by completing a two-minute quiz.
You may be low risk or you may be eligible for free support - either way it will be the most important thing you do today!
This pathway is only available until 31st March 2021.
About Healthier You: NHS National Diabetes Prevention Programme
This service is free to all those at risk of Type 2 diabetes, who are registered with a GP in your locality.
Once patients have confirmed their place, they will be supported through the following programme:
- Initial one-to-one assessment with a Health & Wellbeing Coach to assess individuals health and wellbeing, understand individual needs, motivations and programme goals.
- The programme consists of nutrition guidance and support, individual strategies and tools to empower long term progress and physical activity sessions and advice. These are run over 13 sessions. Session 1-6 fortnightly, session 7-13 monthly. Sessions are currently being delivered remotely via Microsoft Teams or as a group telephone call.
- An end of programme one-to-one review with a Health & Wellbeing Coach will celebrate individual successes and achievements and consolidate learning to date. This one-to-one will support with setting post-programme goals and long term life style changes.
- Sessions are held at various times to suit you, including day, evenings and weekends. You’re sure to find one convenient for you.
- This programme is also run in language specific groups:
- Arabic; Chinese (Hong Kong); Chinese (simplified); Farsi; Gujarati; Kurdish; Nepalese; Polish; Punjabi; Romanian; Somali; Spanish; Tamil; Turkish; Urdu