Social care in Southwark

Find out how to access social care services in Southwark.
elderly man and woman having a cup of tea

How do I access social care?

Adults and older people

You can contact the Council and request a needs assessment yourself, or another health or care professional can request one for you. For example, a GP, housing officer or community worker. A needs assessment will be completed with you if you appear to have care and support needs and you'd like an assessment.

However, the Council can provide you with information, advice and support to help you with your care and support needs without the need to complete an assessment with you.

020 7525 3324

Click here to find out more about the Council's offer

If you are an older person, or care for an older person, you can get in touch with the Southwark Older People and Carers Hub. This is run by Age UK and brings together social services under 'one roof' with other community services.

020 7358 4077

Click here to find out more about the Hub

Learning disabilities

To request a needs assessment if you, or the person you care for, has a learning disability, contact Southwark Council by email or phone.

020 7525 2333

Mental health needs

Southwark Council advises those with mental health difficulties to contact the Southwark Wellbeing Hub to request a needs assessment.

020 3751 9684

Thames Reach Employment Academy, 29 Peckham Road, London, SE5 8UA

Children and young people

Find out more about The Local Offer for children and young people (aged 0-25) with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) here

If you, or someone you know, is receiving Children’s services and turning 18 years old, you can contact Southwark Council:

020 7525 2333

Support for unpaid carers

A carer is anyone, including children and adults who looks after a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction and cannot cope without their support. The care they give is unpaid. - NHS England

Carers can receive support from Southwark Council. This can range from advice and information, to direct payments and a carers allowance. Find out more here.

Carers can request a carers assessment for themselves, separate to their cared for person, to discuss how they can best be supported in their role. Find out more here, or request an assessment using the same contact details above.

There is also voluntary and community support for carers in Southwark:

  • Southwark Carers: Offer advice and information to carers across the borough about social services, benefits and community groups. They also offer counselling/listening and support groups for carers and their families.
  • Citizens Advice Southwark: Provides advice and support around benefits, welfare, housing and employment. Note: Citizens Advice Southwark no longer has a dedicated service for carers.
  • Carers UK: Provides information and advice, and links to national peer support activities and groups. 
  • POhWER: Provides Care Act advocacy for adults having their needs assessed, children being assessed in their transition to adult services, and carers.


If the person is in immediate danger call 999.

Safeguarding relates to protecting people (especially children and vulnerable adults) from harm by noticing signs of abuse or neglect, and reporting them to the correct place - usually the local Council. Find out more about the different signs of abuse here.

People who come into contact with vulnerable adults and children in their work or volunteering have a legal responsibility to safeguard. However, anyone can raise a safeguarding concern. If you have concerns, please find out how to contact Southwark Council using the links below:

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information