Mental health support in Southwark

Find out about how to access mental health services and support in Southwark - whether you're feeling a bit down, or you think you need more support.
Women consoling eachother

I need help now

If you need urgent help for your mental health, contact NHS 111 by calling 111 or using the online service

If you or someone else has harmed themselves or is in a life-threatening situation call 999.

If you think you are experiencing a mental health crisis, you can contact the South London & Maudsley (SLaM) Crisis Line 24/7 on 0800 731 2864.

You can also contact Samaritans on 116 123 or, or text SHOUT to 85258. Both are open 24/7.

Where to start

If you have concerns about your mental wellbeing, for example if you're experiencing symptoms like depression, anxiety, or panic, then your GP is a good first port of call. In most surgeries there is more than one GP, so you could ask to see a different doctor to normal, or if there's anyone who specialises in mental health. Some surgeries even have a Community Psychiatric Nurse.

If you don't want to go to your GP, you can contact Southwark Wellbeing Hub. They provide free information and support for anyone in Southwark experiencing problems with their mental wellbeing. Their services are flexible and can work around you.

0203 751 9684

Southwark Wellbeing Hub, at Thames Reach Employment Academy, 29 Peckham Road, London, SE5 8UA

If you're aged 11 to 25, there is a mental wellbeing hub called The Nest which offers free & confidential mental wellbeing advice and support for young people. Click here to find out more.

Getting therapy or talking to someone

There are a few different options to access mental health therapy in Southwark. The main service is Southwark IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) also known as Southwark Talking Therapies. They offer treatment for symptoms like depression, anxiety and panic (which can be part of a wider range of mental health conditions e.g. PTSD) from low to high intensity. After referral, they will arrange a conversation with you to decide on what might help you.

You can be referred to IAPT by asking your GP.

If you would rather speak to someone online, you can use:

If you think you need more specialist support for your mental health, you will need to be referred by another professional. For example, you can speak to your GP or be referred by IAPT following an assessment. 

If you feel like life is no longer worth living and would like to talk to someone, The Listening Place offers free face-to-face support from trained volunteers. Find out more and self-refer on their website.

I think I need more advanced help

South London & Maudsley also provides 'secondary-level' care for more serious or complex mental health conditions. This includes Community Mental Health, the Integrated Psychological Therapy Team (IPTT), and the Psychosis Service

This care can only be accessed through referral - either by a GP, or following an IAPT assessment (see above for self-referral information). Following a referral, the Assessment & Liaison Team will arrange an assessment and refer you onwards to the right care.

Are there any other types support available?

There is a wide range of mental health and wellbeing support provided by voluntary and community organisations in Southwark. For example, social groups, peer support, activities, and online classes. A good place to search for this is the Wellbeing Hub:

0203 751 9684

Lambeth & Southwark MIND Information Service

020 8159 8355

What if I don't want NHS therapy?

If you don't want therapy from the NHS, or you don't think they provide the right therapy for you, you can access private therapy - this usually costs money, but some places offer low cost options or prices on a 'sliding scale'.

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information