The NHS is also doing more on prevention.
The Long Term Plan contained a whole chapter on prevention, and set out a package of new measures, including:
- all smokers who are admitted to hospital being offered support to stop smoking
- doubling the Diabetes Prevention Programme
- establishing alcohol care teams in more areas
- almost 1 million people benefiting from social prescribing by 2023 to 2024
Some of the immediate work includes:
- announcing a smoke-free 2030 ambition, including options for revenue raising to support action on smoking cessation
- publishing Chapter 3 of the Childhood Obesity Strategy, including bold action on: infant feeding, clear labelling, food reformulation improving the nutritional content of foods, and support for individuals to achieve and maintain a healthier weight. In addition, driving forward policies in Chapter 2, including ending the sale of energy drinks to children
- launching a mental health prevention package, including the national launch of Every Mind Matters
The consultation document and online survey can be accessed here.
Healthy London Partnership have undertaken a rapid analysis to summarise the proposals outlined in the green paper to support responses from partners and colleagues.